Dr. S.K. Dash is a name well associated with the probiotics industry. A globally recognized scientist, visionary, and entrepreneur, he has made it his life’s mission to study and promote the benefits of probiotics. These benefits, he has found, include the enhancement of digestive health and natural immune defenses, the improved balance of intestinal flora, and the production of enzymes, natural biotics and vitamins. Dr. Dash is the founder and chairman of UAS Laboratories, LLC, a developer and distributor of innovative probiotic products that are used in food, beverages and nutraceuticals both nationally and worldwide. He and the company have introduced acid resistant, non-dairy probiotics in the United States, introduced quality control standards which are now used for probiotics worldwide, and expanded consumer awareness of probiotics nationwide.
Under the leadership of Dr. Dash, UAS Laboratories has also developed and marketed safe and effective probiotic strains, and made them available to the public. Since the company’s founding in 1979, it has become known as the world’s top company in probiotics. Dr. Dash has been instrumental in growing the probiotics sales field from a $10 million-a-year industry to a $35 billion-a-year industry, and the field continues to grow at a rapid pace.
Dr. Dash became interested in probiotics after he relocated to the United States from India in 1969, and received a Ph.D. in nutrition and biochemistry from South Dakota State University in 1973. Dr. Dash recently furthered his education by earning a Doctor of Science in probiotic research from Utkal University in India. Prior to establishing UAS Laboratories in 1979, he worked as the director of the Food and Drug for the state of South Dakota.
Over the years, Dr. Dash has utilized his knowledge and experience to author a number of publications. He wrote “The Consumer’s Guide to Probiotics” and “Health Benefits of Probiotics,” and co-wrote “User’s Guide to Probiotics” and “The Garden Within.” Dr. Dash has also penned more than 40 research articles. He has a patent pending for his “method of preventing, controlling and ameliorating urinary tract infections and supporting digestive health by using synergistic cranberry derivative, a d-mannose composition and a proprietary probiotic blend.”
Dr. Dash has shared his expertise in adjunct professorship positions at both Minnesota State University and South Dakota State University. He recently established the Dr. S. K. Dash Probiotic & Prebiotic Innovation Center for Excellence and Endowed Professorship at the Indian Institute of Technology and South Dakota State University. His many professional affiliations include the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists, the Institute of Food Technologists, the Natural Product Association, and the American Dairy Science Association, among others.
An active philanthropist, Dr. Dash has also been integral in the establishment of a number of hospitals, schools and orphanages for the needy around the world. He has served as the director of Kalinga Hospital in India, director of the Hospital Corporation of Odisha, president of the Odisha Society of Americas, and chairman of the Kalinga HCO Foundation. Other positions that Dr. Dash has held include director of the International Probiotics Association, Chairman of the Hindu Society of Minnesota, director of the India Association of Minnesota, and founder and chairman of the Dr. Dash Foundation.
Dr. Dash has received numerous national and international awards for his accomplishments in the fields of probiotics, science, technology and philanthropy, including being recognized as Distinguished Man of the Year. Other honors include, but are not limited to, the Distinguished Alumni Award from South Dakota State University in 2014, the 2010 Probiotic Award from Frost & Sullivan, the Minnesota Indo-American Association Achievement Award in 2009, and being named Outstanding Man of the Year by the Odisha Society of the Americas in 2000 and by the Hindu Society of Minnesota in 1998. Dr. Dash’s achievements were taken in to consideration when he was chosen to be featured in the 70th edition of Who’s Who in America, the 20th and 21st editions of Who’s Who in the Midwest, the 8th and 9th editions of Who’s Who in the World, and the 1st edition of Who’s Who of Emerging Leaders in America.
- National Award, 2017 Pravasi Odiya Samman Award, presented by President of India for pioneering work in Probiotics
- Inductee, Worldwide Lifetime Achievement (2016)
- Lifetime Achievement Award from Hindu Society of Minnesota at a special event on October 22, 2016 for his outstanding contributions to Probiotics Research and Philanthropy.
- Featured Member, Who’s Who in America, Marquis Who’s Who (2016)
- Recipient “Distinguished Alumni Award,” South Dakota State University (2014)
- Recipient, Probiotic Outstanding Achievement Award, Frost & Sullivan (2010)
- Honoree, Probiotic Prophet, Healthy Living a leading consumer magazine (2009)
- Recipient, Minnesota Indo-American Association Achievement Award (2009)
- Honoree, Minnesota State Senate (2007)
- Recipient, Distinguished Non-resident Oriya, Government of Odisha (NROFC) (2006)
- Recipient, Distinguished Alumni Award, R.N. Bidyapitha, Cuttack, India (2001)
- Recipient, Outstanding Man of the Year Award, Odisha Society of America (2000)
- Recipient, Man of the Year Award, American Biographical Institute (1998)
- Recipient, Outstanding Man of the Year Award, Hindu Society of Minnesota (1998)
- Recipient, Golden Arch Award, NRI Institute for Innovation in Probiotics and Medicine (1991)
- Featured Member, Who’s Who in the World, Marquis Who’s Who (1987-1990)
- Featured Member, Who’s Who in the Midwest, Marquis Who’s Who (1986-1989)
- Featured Member, Who’s Who of Emerging Leaders in America, Marquis Who’s Who (1987-1988)
- Recipient, Lion of the Year Award, Capital Lions Club of Pierre, South Dakota (1977)
- Nominee, Entrepreneur of America (1955)
- D.Sc. in Probiotic Research, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar, India
- Ph.D. in Nutrition and Biochemistry, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD, United States
- Master of Science in Nutrition, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD, United States
DD Innovation is not a manufacturer and/or distributor of Probiotics. For information on Probiotics, please contact UAS Laboratories, LLC at www.uaslabs.com